Fireworks!

I was heading for a quick teh tarik while on a break from the Asia Pacific Masters Game. I used the back way from City Stadium where the event will be launched. The back portion of the stadium known as the pavilion is spanking new. It s newly built with new standing terraces for fans and spectators.
                                                 

My steps into the parking lot at the back of the stadium was paused by the cordoned off warning tape running across the whole parking lot. I was assuming it was reserved for the buses to ferry the participants for the ceremony. As I slipped under the tape , at the far end of the lot there was a man sitting and guarding the lot. He pointed to the centre. I looked. There were crate looking things covered in blue tarpaulin.



I was excited , because I could guess what it was. It was the fireworks to be blasted at night. I approach the 50 something looking man. I asked him whether it was fireworks that he is guarding. He said yes! I was very interested , because I always wanted to know what happens behind the scene before the fire works is let off. 

I grabbed a chair which was next to him and asked him whether I could ask him some questions on his work. He was more than eager to share some conversations with me. Meet Mr. Lawrence

    He is 70 years old with a wealth of experience on fireworks.I was suprised with his age revelation. I asked him whats the secret , He said keep on working or do something and control your food. Dont sit at home and glue yourself to the tv he said. I asked him permission whether I could take shots when he is firing the fire works. He said yes but you have to be at least a 100 metres away. That's the rules. He added' in fact I m here to make sure no one lights a cigarettes as even a small pin point of naked flame can trigger the firework.' It was obvious that he is passionate about his work , he doesn't plan to retire yet as he says, if you stay at home and watch TV within a week you will be down with sickness and that could spell trouble for you. SOmehow we realized through our conversations he likes Jazz music especially JAZZ ORGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told him ok, I see the reason why we met today , its the organ . As I am a fan of Jazz organ music myself. He has many collections of organ CDs . After 20 minutes of coversation on organ music we ventured back to fireworks again. 

He forsees increase in cost of setting fireworks as what was used to be a cottage industry in China has become an industry. This is partly due to safety standards as many mishaps has prompted the Chinese Goverment to control and industrilize the Fireworks industry.

He reminded me that the worse place to take shots of the fireworks is where he is  - the place he will set off the works. But I told him I have taken many fireworks shots but this is the first time I am actually meeting the person who works behind the scene. And I would like to take shots from where it is. He agreed to my request.


It was 9 pm. Only a portion of the blue tarpaulins was left on the crates of the fireworks. The place by then was perimetred by the police. The fire engine team just arrives. Lawrence is busy checking things in a nearby van. Next thing , he sees me and calls me to see him unpack the blue tarpaulins from the crates.

After unveiling the blue tarpaulins , there was still a thin membrane that was left on the fireworks crate. Looks like the fireworks will blast through the thin membrane when it is fired. I was inside the cordoned off area with the permission from Lawrence. But I didn't want to stay long as I know they should be starting in 30 minutes.

I moved to a safe distance and under a tree , was busy setting up the tripod when the first fireworks started. It jolted me as this was my first time being so close to fireworks launching site. I couldn't set my camera on the tripod in time -  As the fire works kept blasting. Its a 3 minute show , i remembered Mr Lawrence telling me earlier. He warned me shreds of cardboard type material will rain down during fire works.

By this time, I had given up setting up the tripod as the each blast kept jolting me up as you can feel the intense air pressure dissipating to you. Basically they are firing mini rockets into the air!!

I had two cameras with me. My compact Fujifim X10 was supposed to nail the shots, but i was too jolted to set anything. I laid it flat on the ground facing skyward and i didn't even know whether it was zoomed out or in...( talk about being prepared for a firework shoot)- Anyway I was not -as I met Mr Lawrence unexpectedly.


 Obviously from the shot above you can see that my camera was set at close zoom.

But I had this wide angle Yi action camera that looks like a spy camera . I laid it flat on the ground. And I got some pretty unexpected shots but they were just magical for me.





I was glad I did manage to take the usual fireworks shot . But what I really liked was i managed to take the launching of the fireworks with this tiny action camera



Mr. Lawrence is not in the picture as he is away on the other side inside a van triggering the fireworks. The guy with the handphone is probably a security personal snapping on his Handphone.
After the last fire works was set off...I realized it s a serious combustion and fire power involved in a firework as  I wanted to take the remnant of the launch site.

It was still smoking. As you can see the fire works blast through a thin membrane of plastic.The show was over. The crowd at the stadium dispersed. Mr. Lawrence and his team will clear the mess and pack the launchers. He told me he will be done by 2 a.m.
 So if you ever see a fire work display , the work is done much earlier in the morning and needs a firepower passion of the likes of Mr. Lawrence to set a beautiful show for us




Comments

Popular Posts